Black Monk Consulting offers a broad range of services for corporate,
governmental and not for profit organizations designed to both clarify and
improve present understanding and performance and to help pave the way to a
desired future. We break these services into the following service categories:
- Theoretical Futures Creation
- Futures Presentations and Workshops: One (or multiple) day programs
examining the future of a specific industry, company or subject area. These
presentations can take several forms from a more traditional presentation to
the development of an interactive workshop.
- Futuring White Papers: Formal written (or multimedia) studies exploring
the kind of topics addressed in the presentation and workshops.
- Applied Futuring: The development of new tools and metrics that can be
applied to implement concrete tactics and strategies for facilitating change
and creating a desired future state.
Building Strategic Tools
- Scenario Planning: One day to multi-year scenario planning sessions. Scenario
planning is a tool for conceptualizing plausible futures and the tools to adapt
or achieve them. While some companies choose to assign dedicated teams to the
process, our approach uses a workshop approach based on techniques initially
developed by Royal Dutch/Shell and the U.S. Air Force and now used by many
Fortune 100 companies to asses future social, economic, political, commercial,
organizational or technological changes without falling prey to resorting to the
business astrology of predicting a single future.
- Discontinuity Analysis: A proprietary Black Monk strategic tool for learning
how to, "know what you don’t know" and anticipate events that may represent
critical shifts or breaks from longitudinal extrapolative data.
- Ideation Workshops: Focused sessions designed to address a single issue from
thinking through new products or marketing approaches to recreating supply
chains or customer understanding.
- Quantitative Research: Original traditional and online surveys.
- Ethnographic Research: Thanks to our association with
SmartRevenue we are able to provide real-time ethnographic research, conjoint analysis and
research presentation materials.
- Online Research: Again, here we partner with SmartRevenue, in our estimation
the best online polling organization in America.
- Qualitative Research: A more subjective analysis tool involving everything
from literature surveys to unique analysis of existing research and data.
- Internal Corporate Research: Internally directed qualitative or quantitative
- Participant Anthropology: Individually crafted research projects requiring a
"full immersion" approach to problem solving, i.e., instead of studying a
problem or situation we live the problem or situation by direct hands-on
involvement in day-to-day operations.
Internal/External Communications and Education
- Facilitation: Facilitation of workshops, internal meetings and events,
sessions aimed at solving a specific problem, etc.
- Corporate Meeting/Workshop Planning: We offer a range of meeting planning
services from selection of theme to program development and recruitment of other
- Brand Identity Workshops: Programs designed to explore issues directly
related to brand vitality and relevance including such topics as brand
composition, master and sub-branding and transbranding.
- Internal Media Creation/Editorial Services: Development of internal
communications tools including White papers, newsletter and magazine content
development, press materials and website content development.
- Corporate Culture Analysis: Diagnostic studies intended to clarify the nature
of existing internal culture as well as developing approaches to cultural
- Corporate Keynotes: Forty-five to sixty minute speeches to kick off annual
meetings, sales meetings, new product launches, etc.
- Innovation Seminars: Workshops designed specifically around the theme of how
to harness the process of innovation and eliminate the internal barriers that
keep companies from enjoying the full benefits of creativity.
- Advisory Boards: Creation, facilitation and content development of customer,
consumer and vendor advisory boards.
- Media Consulting: Development of media strategy.
- Creation of organizational stories
- Dissemination of organizational stories
- Storytelling workshops
- Storytelling coaching
- Identification of existing organization mythology
- Creation of institutional myth museums and other corporate mythology
Rates and availability contracted through:
Greater Talent Network; 437 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY, 10016; 212.645.4200
(phone); 212.627.1471 (FAX);